Friday, November 14, 2008

DMV This!

Today I got to experience the many wonders that is the DMV… I finally went in to register my car. And although I have been chastised by many friends for keeping my Arizona License and Registration it wasn’t until someone notified the police that I had been in California for longer than 10 days that I finally did something about it… well I guess I’ve been here a little over 7 years longer than 10 days, but we won’t tell the DMV that. So off I went this morning to make sure I was legal.

Like the dutiful citizen that I am (and also because I’m impatient and hate to wait in lines) I made an appointment. Turns out that appointment isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. So I show up to the DMV with minutes to spare, clutching all my paperwork and prior registration forms to then be told that I hadn’t gotten my VIN number check out yet so I needed to get out of the line I just waited in and now need to bring my car around to the check point. So out I went, and out I waited. But while I waited I got to experience the people that were there to take the Driving Road Test. The first person was a man in his late 40’s that I would like to have assumed had driven a car before. But both the Driving Tester and I got a little nervous when he couldn’t locate the emergency break, and then when he did he didn’t know how to use it! Her question echoed the one in my head- “Sir do you really know how to use the break and when you are supposed to? And if not are you sure you are ready for the test?” But with his assurance they were off, and Driving Candidate number two rolled up. This time it was a 16-year-old kid that was taking the test for the first time, complete with a set of parents whom I was waiting to whip out their camera and start taking pictures. They were quickly banished to inside the DMV office. And then I was finally next, my VIN number was check and I was sent back into the line that I originally waited in.

So there I was up to the front of my line for the second time, and after I told the woman I was back she handed me a number. As soon as I sat down I realized that she had pressed the wrong button in her machine and was currently holding a number 30 numbers down from the one they were on and which said very clearly- Registration. Non-Appointment. Now I had two options sit there and wait, or go explain to the lady at the DMV that she made a mistake and that I had an appointment and shouldn’t have to wait with all the irresponsible people. I’m sure you can guess which option I choose- I waited.

Luckily I didn’t have to wait to long and 20 minutes later my number was called and I was off to window 15. Yay finally there! Though turns out my woman wasn’t ready for me yet. After listening to her discuss with her coworker that she was told they weren’t getting breaks today (after working a 7 and a half hour day) I was started to get impatient shifting from foot to foot and just wanting to be done with the entire process. Luckily she must have noticed that my patience was wearing thin so she finally started to process my paperwork. To which I finally got good news- it was 60 dollars cheaper than earlier thought! YAY! And after handing over my 140 dollars I was handed my California License place and I was through… ok I will admit I didn’t take my test to get my Drivers License… I’m definitely not ready to give up my Arizona one that doesn’t expire until 2044! So until someone tattles on me for that one, I’m good!

No comments:

Post a Comment