Thursday, July 17, 2008

He Said/She Said

Today Mr. Green made a joking suggestion that we should do a joint blog, a kind of He Said/She said version on life. And for once I think he has a point… after all, things seem to get lost in the translation when trying to figure out what someone of the opposite sex really means. With boys I have found that what they say initially is usually the truth, as Erika always tells me you have to date with your head and what they say upfront is usually what they mean. When a guy says I don’t want to be in a relationship right now, as a girl we usually hear but baby you can change that. But the fact is he’s telling you the truth- I don’t want to be in a relationship with YOU, I’m ok still sleeping with you and the girl down the street. There are red flags that get waved right at the beginning, which we choose to ignore. When Mr. NakedBartender told me he had been with 60 women, I should have KNOWN that he was going to end up cheating on me. When Mr. Wyoming told me he hadn’t been in a relationship (or even had sex with someone) in 3 years I should have KNOWN that he wouldn’t be able to handle things when they got serious and emotional… Just as when Mr. Green told me early on about the girls he’s currently “dating” I know that I need to remind myself (And unfortunately I’m sure I’m annoying him with how many times a day I remind him) that I’m really just another number in the line. But once again I guess I’m choosing to ignore the flag… or lets say I’m seeing it as yellow and not red (yea Naïve girl that I am!). But really does someone chuck out a potential relationship too early just because we don’t like the plays on the field? After two dates it’s way to early to expect monogamy (though he does point out that in reality all the time we’ve spent together really we’ve been on a dozen or so dates) but it got me to thinking today, if as women we know that these red flags are bad, why do we always try and turn them into green? And is it even possible?

I started asking around to my girls this afternoon… and turns out almost all of them are in relationships of sorts where they are uncertain of the terms of the relationship… One knows that they are just “buddies” yet continues to sleep with him in the hopes of one day it becoming a relationship… another is dating a guy but refuses to sleep with him until one day it becomes a relationship… another is back with her ex because she believes that this time he really is ready to settle down… and one even told me I had already given away my “relationship power”… ok so now I’m more confused than ever! As my friends like to remind me- I’m way over thinking things… like I always tend to do! I think maybe it comes from not being able to just enjoy the moment and always waiting for the other shoe to drop… but now that I’ve put it out there I’m going to just enjoy the weekend. Mr. Green is coming up for a Movie Marathon (Dark Knight on Friday and Clockwork Orange on Saturday) and some sun… and if he decides to turn his red flag into green than even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment