Sunday, August 24, 2008

Number 6... Check

When I wrote down my Bucket List of things to do before I turn thirty I did it sort of just as a lark (if you haven’t read it check it out and you will see how impossible the list is http://hardtinthecity.blogspot.com/2008/06/my-list-30-things-to-do-before-i-turn.html) … feeling a little blue about entering my final year of my 20’s I wrote down everything I’ve ever wanted to do. I also knew that I would not beable to finish half of it in one lifetime let alone in a year, and in fact figured I would just forget about it until I did turn 30 and then would look back and realized I hadn’t done much this year. What I didn’t consider is that possible this would start a journey that would bring adventure to me and my friends… but it seems that that might be what has come of this list now that everyone is getting into the spirit of it. In the last month I have managed to check off 3 things (two small and one last night that was my greatest fear!).

While in San Diego I checked off the first one without even realizing it, number 12- Spend an entire day naked in bed (thanks to a very lazy Mr. Green and a very hangover Miss Hardt we spent the day basically just naked in bed… it consisted of waking up naked, dressed for brunch with the family, back naked in bed watching the Olympics, dressed and out of the house to see a movie, and then, shock of all shocks, back in bed naked watching the Olympics). Then this week while celebrating a friends birthday at the beach we decided to check off part of number 27 (Build a perfect sand castle, ok it wasn’t perfect- Jr. Mr. A kept sitting on it but it was perfect to me!). And last night I decided to do the one thing in my life that scares me more than anything else- Singing in public. So I grabbed my girls (and Brian of course!) and we found the divest dive bar in Burbank for a little Karaoke action. And after a lot of drinks, practically pee’ing myself with laughter and fear and a few warm up songs with my favorite girl band, I was able to get on stage and belt out Journey’s Don’t Stop Believing. Ok maybe I’m not American Ideal worthy, but I was able to get up there and not make a complete fool of myself. And I have to tell you the rush felt amazing! And although I don’t think I will ever have the nerve to do it again, at least I can say I did it once… and sitting there I felt complete. I was sitting with all three aspects of my adult life: Lisa and Brian representing the young adult in her early 20’s going to NYU full of optimism and hope, Nicki representing my mid 20’s when I worked at Universal and AU and was just trying to find who I was and then Alissa representing my late 20’s starting to work in the studio and really just making a life for myself out here in Los Angeles. And I guess you can say that maybe even a fourth representative was there with us via good luck and moral boosting text messages- the guy that is hoping to be part of my future life.

All in all I had an amazing evening… it felt good to really just cut loose and geek it out. Living in LA long enough you get use to being in the right club, wearing the right clothes and being with the right people. And it felt good to just throw all of that to the wind, and be with the perfect people. My friends who weren’t afraid to listen to me sing (and helped me warm up on the way), cheered me on so I wouldn’t make too much of an ass of myself, danced to way too many cheesy songs while belting out what words we thought we knew, got on stage and helped me warm up and just made me smile all night through. And I can’t remember that last time that happened! Thanks guys, you rock! Let’s just hope the pie I’m baking on Tuesday can live up to your very high standards!

No comments:

Post a Comment