Monday, August 25, 2008

The grass isn’t always greener

Yesterday while bartending a couple came in, they were roughly my age (late 20’s/early 30’s). At first I thought they were on a first date or at least the early stages of dating because he seemed to be annoyed with everything that she did and she just seemed to be trying too hard. But midway through their visit, and a couple of glasses of wine later I noticed the both had wedding rings on. But every time she went to touch him he sort of back off. It was then that I realized that something was up. Her voice started to get a little louder and she started to kind of knock down everything he was saying… then all of a sudden she got really loud (and the bar emptied so it got really quiet) and I was able to listen to everything that they were saying. And I started to get really into the fight, taking sides based on which argument seemed more logical. He got a point for telling her he just wasn’t ready to take his mcats and that it’s his decision not hers, she got a point when she started to point out all the flaws from the beginning of when they started dating years ago started with the first time she went to visit him his apartment was a mess and she couldn’t believe he didn’t even clean up for her (Really is a made bed too much to ask from someone you are dating!)… but then he started to look better when she just went shrewish and told him what a lousy husband he was and started sobbing. At this point he went really quiet so I couldn’t hear his responses anymore, and the quieter he got the louder she got. In the end I missed what was the breaking point but she started to kind of hit him, not punching but just hitting his arm. To which I started to get worried that I was going to have to break up an actual fight, I so wasn’t trained in this situation! When all of a sudden she slapped him and then proceeded to throw her drink in his face and storm out of the bar after yelling “Well fuck you” at the top of her lungs leaving me in a state of misbelief.

After they left I kind of sat there in a state of shock… sadly my first instinct was why bother dating when it always ends just that way. And although I’ve never had a fight in public, never thrown a drink in someone’s face, never stormed out of a bar the end is always the same. Tears, yelling, names slung around and arguments brought up from the first week you meet. And although some will say that if it’s right then it won’t end this way… but really I’m just sick of all the wrongs that do! And after finding the “money shot” of an ex this week (which promptly made me actually throw up because I was so disgusted) I think I’m going to keep the single status for a bit longer because sometimes the end isn’t worth the middle!

No comments:

Post a Comment