Saturday, August 16, 2008

Losing my mind... or have I already lost it?

So I think the stress of my life has finally gotten to me… I’ve finally gone mental. Maybe it’s early onset altzemiers, or an early mid-life crisis or life has just gotten the better of my, but lately I feel that I’m losing it. Case in point this evening… I came home exhausted from a day of bartending and thought I’d cook myself a nice dinner- teriyaki chicken with rice and steamed veggies. Sounds simple enough, right? Well obviously you haven’t met me.

Step One: Pre-heat the oven
Now this one seems like the easy step, all you have to do is turn the knob to 350 and wait… except that I was in the middle of doing something else, opened the oven door to take out the trays that were in there (I learned my lesson from Lisa and Brian with the time they set the Papoulis kitchen on fire) and left to take my shower… the part of the process that I forgot was to CLOSE THE OVEN DOOR! Yes it seems that I must be trying to kill myself… luckily I caught this as soon as I got out of the shower, put the chicken in it, and closed the door.

Step Two: Check on the chicken.
So I pulled out the chicken (which happens to be in a glass dish) and placed it on the stove, flipped it over, added some spices and then grabbed the dish to put it in the oven. Once again I must be trying to kill, or at least really hurt myself because I didn’t put an oven mitt on! No I haven’t been drinking, haven’t been on any drugs, don’t have a concussion and despite how it seems do cook a lot… so really we will just call me plain old stupid on this one.

Step Three: Start the rice and the veggies.
I put all my ingredients into the rice cooker, put the veggies on the steamer that goes on top and sat down to read a book. 10 minutes later I went to stir everything and thought wow this doesn’t seem to be cooking very fast. Guess it would help if I actually plugged in the rice cooker!

Needless to say right now it seems that I would forget my own head if it wasn’t screwed on… so crossing my fingers that nothing else goes wrong with my dinner. But hey, at least I’m on a first name basis with all the firemen from the station across the street, just in case!

No comments:

Post a Comment