Sunday, August 10, 2008

Don't stop believeing

This morning as I sit down at my computer trying to put the weekend into words, and for once in my life I am left speechless. To start off with I had the most amazing time the last three day. I went down to San Diego for the wedding of one of my best friends since 2nd grade. Now this is someone who I grew up with and consider like a sister to me. We’ve gotten into numerous scrapes in our life (As we found out Officer Webber will always leave an imprint on our parents minds), gone through way too many boys, schools, teachers, friends, lovers… Seen our parents grow old, watched her siblings grow up, seen the death of more than one pet (I was there the day her hamster died just as she was with me the moment my bird died), made at least one teacher cry (sorry Mr. Esch), seen us through Chicago, Arizona, New York, DC, Los Angeles and all the places in between. We’ve vacationed with each others families, sampled her fathers home brew before we knew any better. And as of Saturday I walked down the aisle at her wedding. As was expected I cried (her entire family, plus herself, pointed and laughed as I sobbed through the Bride and Grooms first dance). I laughed along with her family and mine at all the memories of us as kids. Gave a slightly inebriated toast at the rehearsal dinner (and yes I actually did edit myself for once!). But all in all I was very touched during the two days of wedding festivities. Jenny looked amazing, a glowing bride in an amazing dress (definitely worth not being able to breath in) who has never looked as happy as she was this entire weekend. The service was by far the best mass I’ve attended for a wedding (the trick is to have a priest that actually knows the family). The band was one of the best I’ve heard for events (and the groom singing Highway to Hell made the entire night). And the hotel where the reception was held was right on the cliffs in La Jolla and it was breathtaking dancing the night away under the stars. I have to say watching her parents and mine really dance away was fantastic and touching. Truly it was a fairy tale wedding. And I admit at one point it did make me a little sad to watch how in love everyone was, and to realize that this is what I do want. I want that lifetime of happiness, and someone to slow dance under the stars with me, who knows me inside and out… basically someone to walk off into the sunset with. And although I did have the moment of sadness I also had numerous moments of happiness this weekend with Mr. Green. And I can honestly say I’m happy with the way things are between us EXACTLY AS THEY ARE RIGHT NOW. So there might not be a sunset in our near future… but let me tell you- sometimes the Cliffs of La Jolla are a very close second. And I’m sorry, but for now I’m actually keeping that memory all to myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment