Friday, September 12, 2008

Yo ho ho and a bottle of Rum... Day 6

This morning was one of our “free” mornings… so after breakfast we separated into two groups. One stayed at the Villa for some sun, and then the other decided on a snorkel trip out to one of the reefs. I’m sure you can guess which one I ended up on! Once again we got into a very rickety fishing boat, but this time we were use to the look and feel of it. It also helped that on this side of the Island the water is like glass, so luckily there weren’t any waves to make us going into a panic attack. Though the cooler of beer that Aldean had packed for us helped too! But our two guides took us out to a reef in the middle of the ocean and let us off to snorkel our hearts away… Now after going to the Aquarium in San Diego a couple of weeks ago I was ready to swim with the fish! And I have to say it was just like being at Steven Birch except for the fact that I was in the tank and the only “glass” that separated them from me was my plastic face mask!

After snorkeling we headed back to the Villa for once again another amazing meal and then we were off to the Appleton Rum Factory… and after 2 hours of driving through the mountains and the most amazing rainforest, with the most amazing rain storm we learned how rum was made and then tasted about 15 of the best rums I’ve ever had. Personally was a fan of this Coffee Rum Cream that tasted a bit like Baileys but oh so much better!
After we had our fill of rum we were back into the rainforest… I have to say it was really amazing watching it rain with the mist coming in off the mountains. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything as beautiful as that! On the way back we stopped at a bunch of roadside fruit stands and picked up nuts, avocados, bananas and mangos… you can see we were a little snacky after all the rum drinking!

Am now just sitting outside enjoying one of our last nights here… listening to the locust and the ocean and wondering how I am ever going to leave this place! I’m tan, relaxed, exhausted… but am missing everyone from back home today.

Sending my love from the Islands!!!

XXOO,
Hardt

PS… And the Animals continue: A school of Jellyfish that I swam through, a barracuda, lots and lots of fish and an Orange Feathered Pheasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment