Friday, September 12, 2008

Bar... The Jamaican way! Day 5

Last night was the first night that I literally came home, ate dinner and passed out! Sorry no blog, but here is the recap from yesterday.

Shock of all shocks I got up at 7 to have coffee… I love having an hour to myself just staring at the ocean without all the other girls. As much as I love everyone on the trip, it’s nice to be alone for a bit of the day. After breakfast Janice, I and our guard dogs went for a swim. I kid you not but I have been adopted by 2 of the dogs, they sleep outside my room, follow me around all day if I’m at home and even walk me down to the beach, wait for me to finish my swims, bark at anyone that comes near me and if I am in there to long they swim in to make sure I’m doing ok! It’s insane, but makes me feel very safe. Wish I could take them back to LA with me!

After the swim it was off to the Black River to take a boat tour. The Black River is the longest river in Jamaica and very similar to the Everglades. Needless to say there were lots of Alligators swimming around! And being the crazy woman that I am I jumped in with the guides and had a nice Alligator swim. Luckily I wasn’t eaten, but Janice did have a run in with the Boat and managed to scrape the entire front of her leg and arm. So after a nice discussion of hospital of no hospital, yes she was bleeding quite a bit and was about to pass out, we decided no hospital and it was off to the falls for us. And boy was YS falls amazing!!! Since I’m usually up for anything and everything I was volunteered to be the one who swung from a rope swing over a ragging waterfall and then just dropped through midair! Though the hardest part was that when you popped up you were dragged through an extremely fast current, almost over another waterfall. And one that you most definitely were not allowed to go over. But I survived, and it was one of the greatest rushes of my life… though I was the only one brave enough to try it out!

After swimming in the smaller falls with our guide for awhile we decided to head out to The Pelican Bar. Now this is not just a normal bar, it’s in the middle of a sand bar 20 minutes into the ocean! And we were envisioning this speed boat taking us there in luxury, instead our driver dropped us off at this remote fishing village. And behind these wooden shacks was the most rickety dock I have ever seen and at the end of the dock there was this tiny fishing vessel… after getting on we had 20 minutes in the open ocean with some crazy waves that were a mix of the ocean and Black River coming… but the Bar at the end of it was so worth it! It was this little shack up on stilts in the middle of the ocean!!! We met Floydee the owner and enjoyed a red stripe (or two) while diving into the ocean! Have to say, it was one of the best places I have been to in my entire life… only in Jamaica, mon!!!!

Sending my love from the Islands!!!

XXOO,
Hardt

PS… And the additions to my daily animal count: Our pet sting ray that we almost stepped on today, Alligators, Cranes, the bull frog that we caught and unfortunately my guard dogs fleas that decided I was going to be dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment