Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I'm 30!

I’m 30. I don’t have the perfect life. I haven’t met the allusive “Mr. Right”. I don’t have 2.5 kids. I don’t live in that house with the white picket fence. I don’t have that perfect job. I may not have had the “perfect” life but I have had an amazing one.

In the past 30 years I’ve had wild crazy passionate affairs and even got caught having sex in a national park (as well as given a blow job driving down the sunset strip in Vegas). I learned to surf, kick box, kayak, became a yoga master, hitch hiked through Hawaii, gone off roading through mountains and deserts, white water rafted, zip lined through rainforests, cliff dived in Jamaica, gone bungee jumping, learned to ride a stand up jet ski, hiked an active volcano, ran from a rattle snake, gotten stung by a jelly fish, a sting ray, and had a man of war wrap itself around my body. I’ve gotten caught in a rip current, held under a wave, knocked unconscious by my surfboard, broken my nose, sprained my knee, been to multiple emergency rooms and gotten multiple concussions.

I’ve been in 5 major relationships and more minor ones than I care to remember! I’ve cried myself to sleep many nights but I’ve woken up with a smile on my face so many more.

I love taking a nap with someone on Sunday afternoons especially after a day at the beach! And will marry in an instant the guy who loves sand in the bed as much as I do.

I’ve work on top rated Sitcoms, huge budget romantic comedy films, disaster movies with famous directors but can’t wait to move into Environmental Documentaries.
I’ve been vegan, vegetarian, carnivore, carb-free, carb-addict, you name it and I’ve tried it. Right now I just am me. And although I’ve never received flowers from a boyfriend at one point I thought I would marry the man who brought me cheese instead…until I found that man. And until recently I’d never had a boy cook me dinner (still dreaming about those damn Brussel Sprouts too!)

I think walks in the moonlight are the best, especially in the sand. And the best place for a date is the Santa Monica Pier complete with ice cream and a ride on the Farris Wheel.

Even though I know that he’s just not that into you if he isn’t calling I still will call him (and text, and facebook, and BBM…) I hate anyone being mad at me so I will always call and apologize even if they were in the wrong. I will forgive someone for anything, which most people will say is my biggest fault. I think it’s one of my biggest strengths, though it literally kills me a little bit inside every time I do.
Some of my ex’s are my best friends and I’m even still friends with the first guy I ever slept with and who, like everyone has always predicted, will be at my wedding. He will just not be the one waiting at the end of the aisle for me.

I’ve been set up on blind dates by all my friends and except for one they have all been disasters. I’ve tried online dating, dated friends brothers, friend’s cousins, friends of friends, ex’s of friends and even spent a memorable evening speed dating. But all those dating disasters have lead to funny stories, a blog and hopefully before long a book!

I don’t adhere to the 3 day before calling or the 3 dates before sleeping with them rules! I don’t believe “It’s not you it’s me”, obviously it is me or we’d be together. I’ve finally learned that “I just can’t date anyone right now really means I just don’t want to date YOU! I don’t play games which is one of the reasons why I can’t keep a relationship for more than a couple of months and I’m too honest for my own good. I don’t believe in Nice Guys, but still hope they are out there. And despite it all- all the bad dates, the broken hearts, the unanswered calls, the times I’ve been cheated, all the men that have left and all those failed romances, despite everything I still believe in Soul Mates.

Many people yell at me for living in what they coin a fantasy land but I will always believe in the best of people. I also believe in second chances (and third and fourth and fifth)… And when I get an idea in my head, I start to make plans. I can’t help myself. I just get caught up in the moment, in life, in the possibilities that could be and fall head first into everything (including men). I wish on a star almost every night. I throw pennies into every fountain I pass. I try and wish on 11:11… And at 30 I still believe in fairytale endings, in pots of gold at the end of rainbows and that there really is a silver lining on every dark cloud. But although I still believe in Happily Ever After, I’ve finally learned that life isn’t a romantic comedy. Sometimes it isn’t about happy endings, at least not the kind I dreamt of as a little girl. Because sometimes in life the princess doesn’t get to keep her prince. And more often than not he just turns out to be a frog. But I’ve learned that it’s not about the destination in life, it’s about the journey. And boy have I had some journeys!

I cry at happy endings and love horror moves more than anything. The Shinning is my staple for Valentine’s Day and one of my favorite things to do in the summer is to see old horror movies at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

I’ve traveled around the world every way possibly including by ferry, hydro-plane, mule, helicopter, horse, car, truck, bike, kayak, shuttle… and yet to this day I’m still afraid of airplane bathrooms and have to put the lid down before I flush them.
I moved to Los Angeles 8 years ago not knowing a soul. And in the last 8 years, this once strange and scary city has become the home that I never imagined. I have met amazing people, the people that everyone else in the world only dream about. And at the same time I have met friends that I can now only call family. I’ve surround myself with a group of people that have literally brought me back to the living more times that they will ever know. They are a hodgepodge of people that I’ve met over the years. Some are from Elementary School, some College, some from Universal, Warner Brothers, New Line and various Films and TV shows. Somehow through dinners and drinks, nights spent crying and laughing, days spent on the beach surfing and biking, through births and deaths, through break ups and wedding, and through 8 years of life they have become my family.

I love thunderstorms, the louder the better. And if I get to have sex during one then I truly am in heaven!

I hate people not returning phone calls so no matter how mad I am with someone I will always call them back. And yes I will get mad at you when you don’t respond to my text messages!

I’ve goggled everyone I’ve ever dated (and possibly facebook stalked as well). And if you date me you will end up in one of my blogs.

My mom is my best friend and my father is the first person I call if something good or bad happens.

At 30 I’ve finally stopped trying to be who people want me to be. I’m far from perfect. I often go at least an extra day without shaving my legs. I’ve started to except that I will always have a belly is sticks out more than it should. My face still breaks out from stress. More often than not my hair is just in an unbrushed pony. I prefer my glass to my contacts. I often go days without wearing a bra. I’m grumpy, demanding, whiny, solitary, spastic, loud, overbearing, crazy, obsessive, and dorky me. I spend way too much time on my computer. Too many hours dissecting my belly. Gets depressed when the scale goes up… and giddy when it goes down.

I’ve had a tumultuous couple of years and have learnt that it’s ok to be 30 and not married, to not have my 2.5 kids yet, to not own my own house, to not have a job that I totally love or get paid enough for. It’s ok to not wear SPF 40 (and not to feel guilty about it). Ok to skip dinner to have that chocolate cake. Ok to not have that diamond ring from Tiffany’s. It’s OK to not look like Barbie, to not agree with my parents view on my life, to enjoy sex (even if it sometimes is with the wrong guy). And most importantly it’s Ok to just be ME!

In the past 30 years I’ve died my hair platinum, brown, maroon, and finally back to its natural blond, I’ve broken someone’s heart and had my own broken (more than once!), bailed a boyfriend out of jail, gotten reviewed in numerous papers, had a naked super bowl party (for only two of course!), totaled a car (well had it totaled for me), gotten a tattoo, did a walking marathon, lost 5 dress sizes and 40 pounds, been posted naked on craigslist, learned to mix the perfect drink (and began writing about it), learned to put on false eyelashes (hey that one was really hard!), spent an entire day naked in bed with someone, built a bonfire from scratch, built a perfect sandcastle, thrown a black tie party, gotten the answer right in final Jeopardy, built a website from scratch, killed every plant I’ve ever owned, met my idols, lit fireworks on the beach…And just lived my life. Maybe not the way I’m supposed to, maybe it’s not “perfect”, maybe it’s not how you’d live your life… When I think back to what I thought my life would be like at 30 and all the things that I thought I should have or should have done I can see that for everything that is still missing there are at least 3 amazing things that are in its place, things that I never thought possible, that I never even dreamed of. Life is a funny thing, you go through it with this plan, this idea of what your life should be like. And then one day you realize that your life might just be everything you’ve ever wanted. Sure it may not be wrapped up in a happy little bow yet, but really who wants their Happy Ever After at 30? For me I can’t wait to see how this story plays out… right now I’m just at the 3rd Act twist. In fact this is just The Beginning…

1 comment:

  1. What a great milestone entry, and happy birthday!! :-) Here's to many more crazy stories and of course, sand in the bed.

    ReplyDelete