Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sometimes you have to just stop and smell the roses, or in my case fantastic pink flowers!

I’m 30 years old and until last night I had never been brought flowers by a boyfriend. Sure I got corsages when I was in high school before proms. And sure my father use to bring me home flowers when I was sick as a kid. And of course I’ve had friends bring me flowers on my birthdays…but from a boyfriend, never. It’s something that shocked Mr. Hermosa last night, his response- well I can see why you have so many ex boyfriends, I would have ended things with them too if I never got flowers… and it made me think, how have I settled for a flower-less romantic life? I’ve gotten cheese, bottles of champagne, alcohol, stuffed animals, cards…but never flowers. And never just because I was having a bad day. I don’t know how I’ve let myself settle for less in life. Partly because I have always secretly thought I couldn’t do better, but mainly because I just got so use to being treated like a convenience that I didn’t realize that there really was a guy who would treat me like a priority. At 30 my eyes are finally opening, though maybe because I’m finally ready for them to open. It’s disgusting I know, but I can’t stop smiling and every day I fall more and more for Mr. H… it’s weird because you would never be able to guess that we would work, or in his words we are “a perfect match”. In a way I would say he completes me, there is something about him that calms me down. As many of you know from following my blog these last couple of years I have a tendency to obsess and stress. I facebook stalk. I count condoms in drawers to see if they are cheating. I spend hours on the phone dissecting every little thing he says. I spend all the minutes in the day wondering if I was doing something wrong, if I said something wrong, how I was pushing them away… for the first time every I’m able to just sit back and really enjoy being in a relationship. We talk about how things are going, both just in utter shock at how amazing it is. Last night I had one of my first tiny moments of panic, I was lighting the candles around the room, setting the stage for a romantic dinner and thought- is this too much. And as soon as I thought it, he walked in. Flowers in hand and this huge smile on his face to see me and all my questions just floated away… because how can I doubt a guy who took off yesterday morning from work just to spend some time with me since he was away all weekend. Who spent his entire guys weekend in Vegas text messaging me, not drunk and horny but drunk and telling me how much he missed me and how amazing I was. Who has arranged double dates with his friends and their girlfriends so we can audition a few couple friends and because they are apparently dying to meet me. Who invited me to be a date at a wedding, not only the first date he’s ever brought to one of his college boys weddings but to a wedding in Pittsburg on New Year’s Eve. 3 months from now, and yet he’s sure that we will still be together. And the thing is it didn’t feel weird that he asked, it just felt normal. Just as it’s normal that I have just as many Dan events in my calendar as I do my own. I keep beer for him in my fridge. My bathroom cabinet is now stocked with his boy products as well as his toothbrush occupies the other space in my holder (I have a drawer at his place as well with all my goodies!). Our lives have just slowly melted into one. For this upcoming weekend there isn’t a do you want to do something kind of anxiety, it’s a so what are we doing this weekend. It’s just given that we will be spending it together. We still have managed to keep parts of our lives separate, which I think helps it work. He watches the Notre Dame football game every Saturday with his buddies, I came to the end of one of the games but I like knowing that every Saturday I have a few hours where I can go and hang out with my girls, this week I have a baby shower to go to during the game. We have 3 big weekends planned coming up- apple picking in Julian, Charger game in San Diego, and the big Thanksgiving weekend in Arizona. We also have small weekends planned coming up- his two big races (one which he is entering me into if we can heel this ankle), his birthday weekend (he’s planning his big drunken bday night and I’m planning a surprise romantic one for the night of his actual birthday) and one weekend where we are planning on spending an entire Sunday in bed watching football. We have excitement coming up and some time to just enjoy being a couple… and I have to say this time I’m happy I didn’t settle for less…because for once I’ve gotten everything I’ve ever dreamed of and more!

1 comment:

  1. You sound like me last year! :-) Before long you'll be living together and it will be the most natural thing you've ever done. How great that he brought you flowers, you finally got them! About damn time, hahah! :-)

    ReplyDelete