Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Smog Colored Hollywood Glasses...

When looked at from a different perspective our lives are never quite what we imagine them to be… no matter how hard things are going for us there is always someone doing better, someone doing worse, someone who probably is looking at us with envy and at least one person who looks at us as a hero. Especially those of us that work in the entertainment industry. I take it for granted that I spend half of my life within spitting distance of many the top stars. That I’ve met people that most of the world would kill to just get a glimpse of. That I’ve been on sets that tabloids gossip about… yesterday I was reminded just how rare what I do really is, and that from the perspective of a 6 year old girl anything in this industry is awe inspiring… While spending another night working on a Disney show (luckily this time it was Wizards of Waverly Place and not my arch nemesis that is Sony with a Chance) I had a 6 year girl walk up to me with the largest smile on her face, she pointed to the TV’s above the audience and said: “That’s my dad up there, he’s the star talking right now”… which wouldn’t have seemed so out of place, lots of celebrities have their kids come see their shows. What was out of place was her dad is not a celebrity, instead he is affectionately known as “Elvis”, the main valet at Lot D of Hollywood Center Studios. The warm up guy had made another one of his year behind the scene videos and her father, the valet, was transformed in her eyes through the magic of camera’s and televisions into a star… now I know he’s not a star. In fact he’s one of the lowest on the totem pole that is a studio back lot, but it made me smile. To her he’s the biggest star out there… There are many days when we grumble about our jobs, the ego’s we come in contact with, the days of unemployment (in my case the MANY DAYS OF UNEMPLOYMENT), the in between jobs we have to take in order to try and get to our dreams (the clothes we’ve sold, uniforms we’ve had to endure, phones answered, drinks served, tables cleared, unemployment phone lines we’ve wait on and been hung up on many times)… so many days that they blend together and sometimes it’s easy to forget that we in fact inspire some people. That we in fact do work in a magic industry. That all the hardships are just temporary… because we see the world through our smog colored Hollywood eyes, sometimes we need to just step back and look at our lives with more rose colored glasses. Because in someone’s eyes we are their hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment